Blue-green algae detected in Lemolo Lake – June 26, 2007

Blue-green algae detected in Lemolo Lake

Herald and News

Klamath Falls, Oregon
June 26, 2007



Note: Lemolo Lake is 30 minutes north of Crater Lake.


LEMOLO LAKE — A health advisory was issued today for Lemolo Lake, about 60 miles east of Roseburg, because high levels of blue-green algae have been detected.

The Umpqua National Forest confirmed the presence of blue-green algae, which can produce toxins in water that are harmful to humans and animals.

Drinking water from Lemolo Lake is especially dangerous, the advisory says, and skin contact with it or the accidental inhalation of water droplets should also be avoided.

The toxins cannot be removed from the water by boiling it, filtering it or treating it.

The Oregon Department of Human Services advises the removal of all fat, skin and organs from fish from Lemolo Lake before eating. Toxins are more likely to collect in these tissues.

Children and pets, DHS says, are particularly susceptible to toxins. Symptoms of intoxication can include numbness, tingling and dizziness. Intoxication can also lead to breathing difficulty or heart problems, which require immediate medical attention.

A notice will be given when blue-green algae levels at the lake no longer exist.

Blue-green algae was first detected at Lemolo Lake last summer.

John Tudor, a Lemolo Lake Resort employee, said it’s not a surprise that blue-green algae returned this early in the summer, with the recent mild winter and early arrival of spring.

“You can see when the water’s calm there’s a green color,” he said.

Visitors to Lemolo Lake are encouraged to enjoy other activities such as camping, hiking, biking and bird watching.

Lemolo Lake is situated high in the Cascades, just over 4,000 feet in elevation, and only 10 miles from Diamond Lake and 30 miles from Crater Lake National Park.