A photographer traveling with the Southern Pacific farm
demonstration train says, “Oregon’s greatest resource, the one
thing that will make and keep her world famous, is Crater Lake.”
The first lodging in the Park consists of tent houses on the Rim
(Camp Crater) and at Camp Arant (Anna Springs) there is a small
hotel, store and gas station, built by the Crater Lake Company.
After choosing the site where the Mazamas gathered in 1896,
Steel supplies the funds to begin construction of the
Lake Lodge. (The Lodge of the Imagination.) Work was slow due to
labor disputes, supply problems, and financing difficulties.
Steel plans to have an electric plant available for lighting.
The “Medford Mail Tribune” reports that snow has finally
disappeared from the road to Crater Lake and travel there will
soon begin. “Visitors this year will probably exceed last year’s
record of 5,000”
Workmen are installing wooden pipes for the new Rim water system
bringing up water from Munson Springs.
A telegraph line has been installed from the developing Rim
Village area to Park Headquarters at Annie Springs.
$1,100 spent repairing buildings, roads and purchasing
tools. Forest fires were numerous and damaging in the
surrounding forests. Employees consist of the Superintendent and
one ranger. Problems with campers cutting tree boughs for beds.
Two camps in park. One at Camp Arant, near the Superintendent’s
headquarters and one at Camp Crater on the Rim. Camp Crater
first opened July 20, 1909. 419 persons accommodated at camp
Arant and 125 persons at Camp Crater. 4,171 people registered at
the entrance station. It is estimated that another 900 did not
Two concessions are in operation in the park. One for lodging
(two hotels) and one for transporting visitors in and around the
park. Both concessions were owned by the Crater Lake Company.
The new Lodge’s foundation has been completed.
Administration building and a ranger’s cabin built at Anna
Steel goes before Congress seeking $10,000 with which to make a
preliminary survey of a system of roads for the Park, which was
soon secured. The survey work was completed in 1912.
Season Visitation: 4,171