Liquor permits canceled in the Park because Oregon goes “dry”.
260 men and 40 teams are employed to maintain and construct new
The sleeping accommodations at the Lodge are pressed to the
limit by 258 guest registering for the night. Guest sleep in the
The President signs Representative Sinnott’s bill transferring
exclusive jurisdiction from the State of Oregon to the Federal
Congress prohibits further mining claims inside the National
Parks. Commissioner’s courts are established to punish violators
of park regulations.
National Park Service established by Congress. Director Mather
adopts a general policy of predator control.
Roscoe Howard writes a letter to Oregon Representative,
N.J.Sinnott complaining that the Rim Camp Trail to the Lake is
exceedingly dangerous. The writer notes that the Lodge has no
fire escapes and an imperfect water supply. the building is not
complete and is illuminated above the first floor by kerosene
lamps and candles.
William G. Steel resigns as Superintendent and is appointed as
first Park Commissioner. J.S. Diller names Steel Bay while Steel
H.E. Momyer becomes the Park’s third superintendent.
Rim Road built to Devil’s Backbone on the West and Cloud Cap on
Park’s budget set at $25,000 per annum. Employee’s seasonal
residence built at Annie Spring. The two story, nine room frame
structure was razed in 1953. White Horse Bridge built by the War
Department at 14 feet wide and 40 feet long.
Cook house built on the rim of Annie Creek Canyon near Annie
Spring Bridge. Became the Annie Spring Ranger Residence. Razed
in 1984. New road contracts have made many of the Park’s roads
passable. Season: 11,589 visitors.