First annual Crater Lake Ski Race staged from 1/2 mile south of
Ft. Klamath, up to the Lodge on the Rim and back again to the
Fort, a distance of 42.6 miles and a total elevation climb of
2,200 feet. Won by Manfred Jacobson of McCloud, California, in 7
hours and 34 minutes. A crowd of over 1,000 people showed up at
the Fort to cheer on the race participants.
The greatest snow depth ever officially recorded by the weather
bureau in Oregon when 242 inches (20.16 feet) of snow are
measured in Rim Village at an elevation of 7,086 feet.
The first road oiling project is begun at the Rim to fight the
blowing pumice dust after a new road from Munson Valley reaches
Rim Village. The new route changed the Village’s circulation
patter because it now enters the area at the plaza created by
the NPS instead of near the Lodge. The old 1914 route is
200 visitors visit the Park’s temporary museum in the Community
House. A relief model of the park has been added, together with
temporary cases to contain the bird specimens prepared by Dr.
Loye Miller. The insect and rock collections are being rapidly
increased. Many exhibits are waiting the construction of a more
permanent building. Miss Mabel Hibbaird, of Yosemite, is in
charge of the temporary museum. Dale Leslie of Eugene has been
assigned as a Ranger-Naturalist. Frederick Wynd is assisting in
the preparation of material for the “Manual of Information”.
The Park begins initial work on the development and improvements
on the Rim campground. Initially the Rim Camp was not planned or
approved. It developed more or less spontaneously. Three comfort
stations are erected in the camp during the summers of 1927, 28
Construction of the New Lake Trail is begun, with a maximum
grade of 15%. Trail opens the summer of 1929. The Rim Cafeteria
building is constructed, built by the Salter Construction Co. of
Prospect. The Lodge Company used Italian stone cutters from
California. In order for visitors to see the Lake earlier in the
season, 15 miles of road was cleared of snow by using explosives
Pumice slide in Annie Creek Canyon forms Shadow Pool, a short
distance upstream from the junction of Annie Creek and Goodbye
Creek. Named by John Maben.
A new winter Superintendent’s stucco residence built in Medford
on Queen Anne Street. Stone comfort stations are built at the
Lake shore, at the terminus of the new Lake Trail.
Ten campgrounds are located in the Park. A new bridge is built
across Goodbye Creek.
Charles Lindburg flies over Crater Lake in the Spirit of St.
Season 1927 81,155 visitors.