Park regulation, “Dogs and cats prohibited from staying
overnight in Park, unless special authorization has been
received from the Superintendent.” New law didn’t apply to
people staying in the Lodge or cabins.
Mr. Wilson buys 140 acres at the South Boundary of the Park and
builds “Wilson’s Cabins”. At the time of the purchase, one
building existed. This former dance hall is now the store
building. It was from this site that illegal liquor had been
furnished until a brawl following a dance shut the operation
down. (Story from Mr. Wilson)
Guided camera trips initiated. Paul Herron reports seeing a 31
inch trout caught off Phantom Ship using a steel line.
New rock comfort station completed between the Community
Building and the Cafeteria Building.
July 1 - Sept. 30
John Doerr and Wayne Kartcher, chart the movements of the Old
Man of The Lake for three months. The old, upright floating log
stayed mostly in the north bay of the Lake and based on 84
observation, traveled a total of 67 miles. The Old Man averaged
0.67 miles per day and with the greatest distance in one day
being charted at 3.8 miles.
Fatal heart attack.
Road laborer killed on the job after being hit by blasted rock.
The Fort Klamath to Crater Lake ski marathon race is
discontinued until 1978.
Winter 1938 - 1939
Least precipitation ever recorded - 43.03 inches.
Season Visitation: 190,699