For the past five years, one quarter of a mile of buildings
stood along the road at Vidae Falls, which formerly housed the
construction crew that built the Rim Road from Headquarters to
Vidae Falls. Another abandoned road construction camp for 100
men stood at the old gravel pit and crusher site under Anderson
Bluff. The men were housed in tent houses, with a 40 foot by 60
foot mess hall.
Permanent ranger force living in the Park: Jack Frost, Pete
Foiles, Clyde Gilbert, Carlyle Crouch.
Winter search for three skiers. The search is successful.
A private in-holding, the Gladstone tract of 73.65 acres is
The Wineglass CCC Camp is closed.
20,000 Rainbows are planted in the Lake. This becomes the last
fish planting anywhere in the Park. Over the last 31 years
1,656,000 fish have been planted in the Lake. Kokanee, the most
abundant species in the Lake, was apparently mistaken for Silver
Salmon fingerlings and introduced in the 1930’s. Only Rainbow
and Kokanee have survived in large numbers, although
occasionally a Brown Trout is caught.
A weighing-type recording rain gauge is installed at
Headquarters. Because of the very heavy snowfall, this type of
gauge had only limited success.
One day precipitation of 5.06 inches.
Season Visitation: 273,564