W. Ward Yeager enters on duty as Park Superintendent.
Work begins on the rebuilding of the road from Annie Springs
to Rim Village. Completion is set for the fall. (The project
ends up taking four years.) The contract sets the expenditure at
$433,205. The new Mission 66 program in the Park calls for
$5,966,199 to be spent on construction projects by
1972. $4,492,140 will be spent on buildings and utilities, with
$2,474,093 to be used building roads and trails.
Long-time seasonal, Larry Smith, of Phoenix, Oregon, begins work
as a seasonal maintenance laborer, transferring to the Ranger
Division and Law Enforcement in 1964.
The Medford Mail Tribune, reports that erosion causes Bear Rock,
a teddy-bear shaped landmark near Discovery Point, to fall into
The Oregon Journal reports that the Park Service has programmed
$350,000 to purchase and remodel the Lodge into a Visitors’
Center. “The improvements will not be completed until 1963.”
Park Rangers aid in the investigation of a fatal auto accident
on Highway 230. (now Hwy 138)
The pilot of a Navy Crusader jet parachutes in the Lake and is
rescued from his small inflatable boat by Ranger Glen Kaye. The
jet, after completing a short circle of the Rim, goes into a
gentle downward glide and destroys itself near Timber
Crater. The exploding jet starts a forest fire. The Lake had
been covered over by a heavy overcast, when, suddenly looking
skyward, the members of Ranger Kaye’s boat tour group witnessed
the parachuting pilot burst through the clouds. Being a Navy
plane, the pilot was well equipped for water landings. The
pilot’s wing buddy, buzzed the Lake, shortly afterward, making
sure that the rescue had been successful. The two Crusaders had
taken off minutes before from Kingsley Field in Klamath Falls,
when one of the jet’s fuel lines shook lose, spilling fuel and
causing the flame out.
Rock falls from cliff near Discovery Point, completely
destroying a travel trailer being towed by two lady school
Litter Patrol pick-up destroyed by fire when the driver allows
the rear wheels of the truck to drop into the fire pit of the
Park’s garbage dump.
Future Crater Lake Superintendent, Al Hendricks, visits the park
and takes a boat trip. Young Hendricks was “particularly
impressed with the clarity of the water”. (See: January 31,
Chief Naturalist Dick Brown and Medford resident Gene Parker
discover a grove of Pacific Silver fir in the northwest corner
of the Park. Four of the firs grow within the boundary of the
Summer 1961 and 1962
Susanne Twight, being the Park’s only female Interpreter Ranger,
receives extra attention as visitors wonder if she is an airline
stewardess. (The Army-type of cap did not help the
image.) Frequently Susanne was asked, “What are you?” These
types of questions left Susanne “feeling rather like a new
species of insect which had just undergone examination and
$297,000 is programmed to acquire the Lodge by the NPS. The
building is to be converted into a visitor center, with
construction starting July, 1963 and with completion by July of
E.P. Leavitt, 76, Park Superintendent from 1937 to 1952 dies in
Central Point. At this time he had served the longest of any
employee within the National Park Service: 46 years.
Season Visitation: 415,568, a new record.