Seventeen year-old Brian Smith of Jacksonville, Oregon climbs to
the top of Union Peak while circumnavigating the mountain on
skis. The trip started at 6:50 a.m. and was completed by 2:15
p.m. Brian skied and climbed 18 miles on a clear and cold
day. The first recorded solo winter climb of Union Peak by a
teenager in seven hours.
First winter research trip to Wizard Island, via
helicopter. Jerry McCrea, Fred Vanhorn, Jim Milestone, Jim
Webster and Mark Buktenica.
Rangers Fred Vanhorn and Jim Webster ski to the top of Wizard
Island at midnight. Vanhorn and Webster are part of a five
member winter research team, collecting winter lake samples.
The new William Steel Information Center and Interpretive
offices opens in the remodeled, former Ranger Dorm. The old
building had fallen into a state of disrepair prior to its
Entrance fee into the Park balloons from $2.00 per vehicle to
$5.00. The Golden Eagle Passport increases from $10 to $25 a
year. Fee increase is limited to one year.
The NPS Regional office declares that Sleepy Hollow is to be
destroyed. No longer suitable for even seasonal housing. Work
continues on gutting and rehabilitating the old Headquarters
The 1950’s A-frame snow tunnel is removed from the front of the
Administration building. A new stone snow tunnel is built off to
the side. The 1930’s building had been designed for summer use,
so when the Park began winter operations in the 1950’s, a
non-conforming entrance tunnel was built out to the front
April 13, 14, 15
Four park employees and two lake researchers helicopter to
Wizard Island and spend three days conducting lake research. Jim
Milestone, Jerry McCrea, Roger Andrascik, Kent Taylor, Mark
Buktenica and Dr. Gary Larson.
Four Peregrine Falcon eggs are removed from a nest along the
east rim and replaced with dummy eggs. Three of the four are
Sleepy Hollow Cabins, 47, 49, & 54 are torn down and burned. All
ten remaining cabins in Sleepy Hollow are burned during the
House Joint Memorial 14, “Be it Resolved by the Legislative
Assembly of the State of Oregon: We urge the National Park
Service to preserve and restore historic Crater Lake Lodge as a
national asset to provide lodging at Crater Lake National Park
that can be enjoyed by future generations of Americans and
increasing numbers of international visitors.”
The North Entrance Road opens. One of the earliest, if not the
earliest in memory.
1986 - 1987
Snowfall: 427 inches, 36 feet.
The Rim Road is opened to two-way traffic for the first time in
nearly 20 years.
Park Superintendent Bob Benton announces plans to improve Mazama
Campground. The $640,142 project will include construction of
roads, plumbing and electrical systems. The Park concessionaire,
Canteen Corporation of Oregon will spend about $500,000 for the
construction of a new store and lodgings which will replace the
old Rim Village cabins that were torn town last year.
Brian Smith and Steve Brown, both 17, from Jacksonville, Oregon,
snorkel for 3.5 hours in and around Cleetwood Cove. The earliest
and youngest snorkeling in the Lake.
One and a half feet of snow closes the Rim Road along the
The 12th running of the Crater Lake Marathon.
6. 7 miles Leonard Hill of Phoenix, OR 33.00
Sandy Rowan of Klamath Falls, OR 39.39 (new record)
13 miles Dan Stearns, 26, of Bend, OR 1:15.08
Connie Reints, 28, of Bend, OR 1:34:36
26 miles Mike Sandlin,32, of Eugene, OR
Sandra Mike, 38, of Ukiah, CA 3:43:43
Scientists using a remote video camera to search the bottom of
the Lake discover evidence of hydrothermal vents in the
southeast quadrant of the lake at a depth of about 1,200 feet.
The remotely controlled submersible vehicle had been launched on
August 10. The underwater search project is being funded by a
NPS grant of $78,000.
No precipitation recorded for the month.
Newly remodeled and restored Administration Building is
completed and occupied by Park staff.
The $875,000 renovation project is part of a $2.5 million
multi-phase project to restore the Park’s historic buildings.
The newly renovated “Bunk House/Mess Hall” is occupied by the
Ranger and Park Research staff. Renamed the “Canfield Building”
after Superintendent Canfield who was superintendent when the
building was built in the 1930’s.The is soon shortened to the
John Fulton Jr, heavy equipment operator, transfers to Mt.
Rainier National Park. This is the first time since 1946 (41
years) a Fulton has not been employed in the Park. John’s father
joined the NPS one year after WWII.
Total precipitation for the month: 0.02 inches.
A mammal study of the Park shows that 37% of all mammal species
have disappeared from the Park. Five species disappeared before
the area became a National Park and five species have
disappeared since 1902. “Because of the Park’s postage stamp
size, only the area around the old mountain has been
preserved. There are no protected low level wintering
grounds. The Park is a forest island. A year-round park doesn’t
mean people year-round, but rather animals year-round.
Season Visitation: 492,581