12 Small-scale Elements

Cultural Landscape Recommendations: Park Headquarters at Munson Valley, Crater Lake National Park, Oregon

 

Print this page

 

 

 

ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION

 

<< Previous | Table of Contents | Next >>

SMALL-SCALE ELEMENTS

SIGNS

Mission 66 directional sign, routed wood painted brown with creme white lettering

A rustic sign program directed by Francis Lange using CCC labor, began in 1936 replacing many standardized metal signs in the park. A directional sign placed in the ellipse of the headquarters plaza near the road entrance was supported by cut, unpeeled cedar logs. Most probably, the sign was a large four-foot diameter circular slab of oil-impregnated pine with yellow-orange painted raised lettering on a brown background for increased visibility. Signs were designed to be dismantled and stored over winter to prevent cracking of the enamel lettering through wood expansion. Extant rustic wood signs on site are at the Lady of the Woods and the Warehouse. Rustic signs at Munson Valley gave way to routed wood signs painted brown with creme white lettering, as of Mission 66 (1956-1966) improvement programs. Today, few Mission 66 signs are extant with the exception of building and identification signs. Standard metal reflecting signs for traffic are common on site. Other sign types found on site include interpretive, identification of natural features, trails, directional and boundary.

 

Routed wood entrance sign at the main entrance to Park Headquarters from Munson Road

 

STONE FEATURES

Flagstone paving detail

Battered or “rusticated” stone features were a functional, harmonizing element of the Munson Valley landscape. Designed to stand alone yet fit visually into the landscape, stone features provided definition and organization to circulation and plantings. Features at the Administrative complex include stone curbing and a drinking fountain in front of the Administration Building. Other features include a stone bridge over Munson Creek, stone steps between the Ranger Dormitory and the lower cottages, masonry work to hide culverts where the roads crossed the creek, and flagstone walkways at several buildings. Weathered boulders once used for visual effect and to control traffic along the 1934 entrance to the Administrative complex are extant and visible among the plantings south of the ellipse.

Drinking fountain in front of the Administration Building

Stone steps to the lower group of employee residences

 

LADY OF THE WOODS

Carved by Earl Russell Bush in 1917, the sculpture stands approximately three feet high and is located 400 feet west of the Ranger Dormitory. A rustic wood sign identifies the site which can be reached by trail from the plaza area.

Lady of the Woods

Trail to Lady of the Woods