Historic Resource Study, Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, 1984
X. Construction of Government Buildings and Landscaping in Crater Lake National Park
K. Important Additions to Headquarters Complex in 1932
2. Superintendent’s Residence
This structure was located in the residential group at Government Camp and constructed of native stones, many of which were obtained on or near the site. Steel sash was used throughout the building. The first floor consisted of a living room with fireplace of rough, burnt lava rock, a dining room, kitchen, entrance hall, and bedroom with bath. The second floor consisted of four bedrooms with two bathrooms, and a two-car garage was situated under the south wing. The stonework conformed in character to that of the two employee residences constructed at Crater Lake in 1931 and consisted of rough-finished, weathered-surface native stone, laid in cement mortar composed of one part Portland cement and three parts clean, sharp sand. The stonework was laid against the inside wood forms with the rough stone faces toward the forms, allowing a minimum thickness of two inches of concrete grouting, following the general method of construction established on the employees’ residences. The building was to be framed in Douglas fir and the roof covered with cedar shakes.