3 Suspects Taken In Oregon Killings – September 19, 1952

3 Suspects Taken In Oregon Killings

Oakland Tribune

Oakland, California
September 19, 1952

The arrest of a forest-wise old prospector, hunted for three months as the killer of an Oregon State policeman, or the capture of two youths today in Millbrae, may solve the murder of two General Motor executives – one a Concord man – in Crater Lake National Park.

In custody are George Dunkin, a prospector of Medford, Ore., Ray Shanklin, 22, of Rockaway Beach, San Mateo County, and Ross Gallacher, 21, of 6132 Burnettt Avenue, Richmond.

Oregon State Police Capt Paul Parson said the arrest today of Dunkin was made by State Patrolman Russell E. Maw, of Salem, who waited a week in a cabin near Medford, owned by Dunkin’s nephew.

When arrested, Dunkin was carrying a 30-30 rifle, such a weapon as killed the state policeman three months ago.
The-two men arrested in Millbrae were first stopped for speeding, but an investigation of their car turned up two pistols, a crowbar, gloves and $245 in cash under a seat.

3-suspects-takenGUNS, CASH IN CAR

A check of police records showed both men to have extensive police records. Gallacher, according to Milbrae Police Chief Larry Pickett, finished a burglary, sentence in Alameda County on June 20.

Gallacher, who also is known by the aliases Dykstra, Dyster and Gallagher, was turned over on release to San Pablo police, where he was sentenced to 25 days for disturbing the peace there.

He was sent to the County Jail in Martinez, where he was released on July 14.


Returns on a police bulletin dispatched to all points by Pickett, showed that the FBI wanted the pair for questioning in the murder of A. M. Jones, of Concord, division manager of United Motor Service in Berkeley, and C. P. Culhane of Detroit, general sales manager of the same company.

Jones and Culhane were murdered, apparently for robbery motives, in Crater Lake Park on July 19, while on a fishing trip.

A 765 millimeter foreign pistol, found in Shanklin and Gallacher’s car, was said by the FBI to be similar to the weapon used to kill Culhane and Jones.

According to Alameda County sheriffs records, Gallacher was arrested in Reno last year on a charge of carrying concealed weapons. At the same time, the Alcoholics Beverages Tax Unit investigated him because the weapon was an obscure foreign make similar to the one found in the Millbrae car.


Other bulletins replying to Pickett’s request, asked that the pair be held for questioning in a series of Bay area burglaries and robberies.

Taciturn, answering questions in a voice so low it could hardly be heard, Dunkin denied he had knowingly slain State Policeman Phil Lowd when the latter approached his cabin on June 24.

It was dark, he said, and he didn’t aim. He admitted he shot in the direction of the officer and fled.

Combining a business and fishing trip, Jones and Culhane had gone into Crater National Park. Their bodies, were found in a dense forest, half a mile away from their abandoned car.


the back of the head. Indications were that they had been cruelly beaten before the killing Both were bound and gagged, and their money, watches and jewelry had been taken.

Culhane’s shoes were missing indicating that the killer may have needed them. This turned suspicion toward Dunkin, who at that time was in hiding somewhere in the vicinity.

Capt. Pearson said Dunkin has not yet been questioned about the Jones-Culhane killings.

He submitted quietly when Maw, dressed in old clothes to give the appearance he was a trapper, stepped up close and told Dunkin he was under arrest.


Lowd, 53, was slain in front of Dunkin’s remote cabin at the headwaters of Elk Creek, North of here, the evening of June 24.

Dunkin, 67, who had lived in the rugged Cascades for 25 years, took to the woods and was not seen again until caught today. There were occasional clues, though, that he was in the area and police kept a quiet watch.

Lowd was killed while trying to arrest Dunkin, after the prospector had chased a Forest Service crew out of the woods by firing over their heads. He apparently suspected they were trying to catch him poaching.

Farrell H. Fenton, 18, of 1612 Pacific Avenue, San Leandro, pleaded guilty today to forgery before Superior Judge Donald K. Quayle and was certified to the California Youth Authority.

Fenton will appear October 2 for commitment. At that time he will also be sentenced on an escape charge.

A co-defendant, Vernon P. Lisse, 23, of 294 Vermont Street, pleaded innocent to the charge today before Judge Quayle, who set October 22 for his trial.


Another defendant, Rhey J. McCarter, 21, of 1447 38th Avenue, failed to appear for arraignment. Judge Quayle ordered his $500 bail forfeited and a bench warrant issued for his arrest.

The three were charged with forging a $56.24 stolen payroll check and passing it at an Albany market.

The defendants escaped from the Berkeley City Jail August 17 after their arrest.


A fourth defendant, Robert E Herring, 27, of 2033 Lake Street, San Francisco, pleaded innocent and innocent by reason of insanity today to the escape charge and to two counts of issuing fictitious checks.

Superior Judge Charles Wade Snook set his trial for November 5.