Former Superintendent Solinsky, and his chief clerk are found guilty of using government funds and equipment for unauthorized uses. The two are sent to Levensworth Federal Prison for a 5 – 8 year sentence. The former superintendent had built a house on East Main in Medford using Park material, trucks and labor. Park trucks would haul construction rocks down to Medford each time they went to town for a load of paving asphalt. Three additional employees were fired, even though they claimed they had just been following directions.
“Court of Oregon shall appoint a Commissioner who will reside within the exterior boundaries of Crater Lake or at a place reasonably adjacent to the Park…” by an Act of Congress.
Fireplaces are constructed in the Rim Campground. Rustic tables and benches are built during the following two summers.
Terrific hail storm, with hail 6 inches deep on the Watchman. Some stones measured 5/8 inch in diameter.
July 25 – Sept. 9
Ranger Naturalist, John Eliot Allen, while stationed at the Watchman, makes 50 observation and finds the “Old Man of the Lake” moved 23.3 miles during the 46 days “he” was under observation. The average rate of movement was a half mile per day or 110 feet per hour.
Five lightning storms in the Park start 26 forest fires.
Margaret Hensley and Ernest Rostel are married in the home of Park Superintendent David Canfield. Ernie worked as a ranger in charge of publicity and interviewed many famous Park visitors, including Mrs. Roosevelt. Ernie published a major article, “Crater Lake, An Epic of Volcanology” in the Natural History Journal of January, 1933.
Nine U.S. Army planes of the 31st Bombing Squadron circle the Lake at 10:30 a.m. “This is the largest mass flight over the crater in 6 years.” The planes then head for Medford and a week of bombing training.
Fisherman drowns in the Lake, near Wizard Island, when his boat overturns.
1935 John Doerr becomes the Park’s first Park Naturalist. The Park’s Commissioner is no longer required to live in the Park. A stone entrance station and residence are constructed at the North Junction. The buildings were torn town 20 years later.
100,000 Silver Salmon and 20,000 Steelhead are liberated in the Lake.
Winter 1935 – 1936
Park approach roads and the highway to the Rim are kept open for the first time throughout the winter.
Howel Williams conducts extensive geological studies on and around Mt. Mazama, completing his study in 1941.
Twelve year old Frances Fraley falls to his death from behind the Lodge, during a snow outing with a Christian Endeavor group up from Medford. Apparently he rode a sled over the edge. Fraley’s body was never recovered. (Story related by Mrs. Brainerd of Jacksonville.) Some accounts say that he was 16 or 17 and that he fell while skiing and that the accident happened in 1938 or 39.)
Season Visitation: 107,701